Veličina fonta
Sivi ton

Regos: Access Point for EESSI

At the session held on 20 January 2011, the Government of the Republic of Croatia adopted a Decision on the establishment of the Central Registry of Insured Persons(Regos) as an Access Point for Electronic Exchange of Social Security Information System (EESSI).

The role of Regos in the EESSI system

In accordance with the Decision of the Government of the Republic of Croatia, Regos will manage the affairs of the Access Point. Its primary duty will be to connect with the access points of other EU Member States for the purpose of coordinating social security systems, which is carried out by directly applying the European regulations on social security system coordination.

Croatian institutions that are included in the EESSI system are:

What is EESSI?

Electronic Exchange of Social Security Information (EESSI) is a messaging system between administrations in the field of social security, where communication is based on use of messages (SEDs) which are exchanged between end-points (e.g. National Applications). Additionally, the communication is organised according to predefined processes (BUCs).

The CSN is a central system hosted by the European Commission that stores the master repositories with data used by EESSI actors to handle correctly the exchanges of messages (e.g. identification of the correct institution, validation of messages, institution competency enforcement rules, authentication and authorisation of AP to AP communication, etc.). Another role of the CSN is o provide central reporting and statistics on EESSI message exchange based on information available at SBDH and ebMS header levels.

The communication between institutions is done via Access Points. An Access Point (AP) is a domain that holds components common to all countries, developed centrally, but deployed and hosted in the participant countries.

Access Points establish the border between the national and international domains of EESSI end-to-end network Access Points are the gateways that enforce the messaging protocol; they check if the messages sent internationally abide to the message definitions and stateless rules.

Reference Implementation for a National Application (RINA) is developed by EESSI central project team, based on open source software and using a modular design (reusable components for national systems). RINA can be used as a model by Member States to develop their own National Applications.

Electronic Exchange of Social Security Information (EESSI) is a service aimed at facilitating and expediting decision-making for calculation and payment of social benefits and enabling more effective data verification.

By using this service, the protection of the rights to social security of citizens is improved, while the accelerated, accurate and timely exchange of data results in precise and timely calculations and payments of social security for citizens.

The long-term goal of this service is to reduce and eventually eliminate the traditional exchange of information via mail, which will enable all citizens to exercise their social rights in time.


Project implementation is funded by European funds.

In 2016, the European Commission has made available a new source of funding for the establishment of EESSI at the national level. This is the Connected Europe Facility (CEF) 2016 Work Program implemented by Innovation and Networks Executive Agency (INEA)

Funding from CEF funds amounts to 75% of the funds required, while the remaining 25% is funded from the national component.


More about EESSI

Press release EESSI Estonia